vrijdag 30 september 2005

Trip to Oostende ended with Left Foot in Plaster

The trip to Oostende ended in a fall in which I bruised my left ankle a week ago. Luckily we had already seen all the nice things in Oostende, especially the house of James Ensor. This was a three storey high old house full of old furniture, interesting wallpaper and lots of reproductons of his paintings. Lots of masks, shells and fossiles too.
Oostende is a nice town right on the seaside with a beautiful boulevard, a big fishing harbour and pleasant shopping area. What remains a mystery is why the town is called Oostende (East End in English) as it is situated on the west coast of Belgium. I have found the explanation of this mystery on Wikipedia. Oostende used to be on an island in front of the Belgian coast, situated on the east, there was also a Westende.
Anyway, for me it was definately the end of my trip to Belgium. So tell me, what's in a name?
Click here to read the Wikipedia article

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten